Study alongside American students in a Top Catholic High School while living with a host family…
O’Gorman High School welcomes students who are interested in an outstanding American high school exchange experience to study with us. We love sharing our faith-based community with students from all over the world! We are excited that you are considering OGHS for your education and look forward to helping students who, like you, are considering continuing their education in the United States.
O’Gorman High School is SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) approved.
We are Sioux Falls Catholic Schools.
Our mission says it all… “to form a community of faith and learning by promoting a Catholic way of life through Gospel values and academic excellence.”
Thank you for your interest in our International Student Program. We will open applications for the 2019-2020 school year in January 2019.
International Director Admission Coordinator
Kelly Jones Jenni Struck
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Are you SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitor Information System) approved and can you issue I-20 to international students? Yes.
- Which english proficency exams do you accept? We accept the ITEP SLATE Plus. ELTIS, TOEFL & TOEFL Jr.
- What us the minimum score? We will look at all aspects of the application, but expect students to have above average English proficency.
- Do you offer English as a Second Language, (ESL) courses? We do not have ESL classes. Students are expected to be proficient in English so they are able to read, write, speak & learn in English.
- How many international students do you have, and where are they usually from? We have anywhere from 10 to 30 international students during any given year. Students come from all over the world, including England, Germany, Chile, China, Korea and more.
- When is the application deadline for fall enrollment? Application deadline is May 1st which gives us time to review the application and get the required information for completion of the I-20 if the student is accepted.
- What is the tuition for international students? The International Student tuition rate for 2018-2019 is $9,500. Tuition rates do not include activity fees and living expenses. When is tuition due? Tuition can be paid in one or two payments. The first or full payment is due August 20 and the second is due December 20.
- Do you arrange host families for international students? Although we do not currently have a formal system in place for finding host families for students, we will try to assist when possible. Once we have all the information from the student, and the student is accepted, we will assist with finding a host family. We encourge students to work with International student programs which guarantee host family placement. If OGHS finds a host family there may be an arrangement in which the student’s family pays the host family a monthly stipend. If a host family is not found – students will not able to attend. We encourage students to work with International student programs, guarantee host family placement.
- Do students pay host families? The school does not require the student to pay their host family a stipend, however most pay on average of $500/month to cover living expenses. International student families & host families work together to agree on an appropriate stipend.
- Which International student programs does O’Gorman work with most frequently? CCI Greenheart, Children Around the World.
- What colleges do your students usually go to? O’Gorman graduates attend colleges and universities all over the nation. The majority of our students take the American College Testing (ACT) exam and not the SAT. Testing results can be found on our school profile.
OGHS is a four-year Catholic High School comprised of approximately 750 students. OGHS is proud to have been named a “National Blue Ribbon School” by the United States Department of Education three times – in 1985, 2005, and in 2014. OGHS has also been named a top 50 Catholic Education Honor Roll-School of Excellence for 8 consecutive years.
Our professional and dedicated staff and faculty, along with outstanding parental support, help our students reach their potential in a safe, positive, and faith-filled environment. OGHS has a comprehensive instructional program including many advanced placement/college courses, which serve as dual credit options for the vast majority of students who are college bound, as well as a developed foundations curriculum designed to broaden instruction to reach differentiated learners. Students can earn up to 57 college credits through our dual credit program. Ninety-eight percent of our graduates go on to post-secondary education.
Coming to a high school in a foreign country can be a daunting experience for any teenager. To ease the transition, OGHS provides programs designed especially for international students.
New students orientation in August. This program introduces the students to the school and its policies, enables them to see and make schedule adjustments meet teachers and other students, prior to the actual start of classes. Orientation also provides a time for international students to meet their peers, get acquainted with their new school, and ask questions of faculty and staff.
During the fall semester all international students will be enrolled in the course “US Language and Culture” designed to further acclimate international students to the culture and climate of OGHS. We also provide opportunities for international students to make a smoother transition to our high school through our International Club. This organization offers social opportunities outside of the classroom.
Studying in the United States: Click HERE for more helpful information!
THINGS TO DO
- Sioux Falls offers a wide variety of attractions and entertainment all year round! Here are a few highlights!
- Falls Park: the city’s namesake is a triple-cascading waterfall located in the heart of the city. Nightly light shows, walking and biking trails, with restaurants and shopping close by.
- The Washington Pavilion: Kirby Science Center: Visual Arts Museum: Experience Science, Theater, and Art all in one incredible location.
- The Great Plains Zoo and Delbridge Museum of Natural History.
- Historic Downtown Sioux Falls has many unique restaurants, shops, museums and galleries including Sculpture Walk, an exciting exhibit of sculptures from around the world.
- The Outdoor Campus features South Dakota exhibits, classes and walking trails and on the same campus.
- Explore the Sertoma Butterfly House and Purdy Marine Cove.
- Sioux Falls has 20 plus miles of biking and walking trails along the Big Sioux River.
- Try Ultimate Frisbee or Frisbee golf.
- Sioux Falls has many public swimming pools, tennis courts and affordable golf courses.
- Go fishing.
- Canoeing and Kayaking on the Big Sioux River and nearby lakes.
- There’s a Go-Kart park, a trampoline park, skateboard parks and video gaming venues.
- Downhill and cross country skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, snow shoeing and ice skating in the winter.
- Rock climbing at nearby Palisades State Park.
- Play recreational soccer or softball or attend a game of professional basketball or hockey.
- Experience Pheasant hunting season in the fall.
- There are movie theaters, bowling alleys and shopping malls too!
SIOUX FALLS, SOUTH DAKOTA, USA
Sioux Falls, South Dakota is located in the “Heart of America”, bordering Iowa and Minnesota. Sioux Falls is the largest city in the state of South Dakota. Sioux Falls is conveniently located at the junction of Interstates 90 and 29 on the banks of the Big Sioux River. It is 2 ½ hours from Omaha, Nebraska; 4 hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota; and 5 hours from Des Moines, Iowa.
A FEW FAST FACTS
- Population: 156,300
- Metro Population: 228,261
- Area: 73.66 square miles
- Altitude: 1,422 feet above sea level
- Latitude: 43° 32’ 50” • Longitude: 96° 43’ 48”
- Summer: High: 84°F/Low: 62°F
- Fall: High: 60°F/Low: 36°F
- Winter: High: 29°F/Low: 10°F
- Spring: High: 59°F/Low: 34°F
Sioux Falls Cost of Living: Our cost of living indices are based on a US average of 100. An amount below 100 means Sioux Falls, SD is cheaper than the US average. A cost of living index above 100 means Sioux Falls, SD is more expensive.
Overall, Sioux Falls, SD cost of living is 99.80.