Welcome to O’Gorman High School!
Our mission is to form a community of faith and learning by promoting a Catholic way of life through Gospel values and academic excellence.
O’Gorman High School welcomes students of diverse backgrounds academically, economically and culturally. Our programs provide opportunities for students to explore and yet promote their God-given gifts and talents. From service to athletics and performing arts to academics, O’Gorman High School is built on excellence.
O’Gorman High School is a Catholic co-ed high school (grades 9-12) established in 1961 by Bishop Lambert Hoch.
* United States Department of Education Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Award – 1985 and 2005
* Catholic High School Honor Roll (Top 50) – 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008-2009 and 2010-2011
* College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) Achievement District Honor Roll
* State of South Dakota
* North Central Association – Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (AdvancED)
* South Dakota Christian Schools Association
* South Dakota High School Activities Association
* National Catholic Educational Association
* National Association for College Admission Counseling
ACT Scores – Average:
* 24.9 mean composite score for the Class of 2012
* 98% of seniors in the Class of 2011 took the ACT
Advanced Placement Courses:
* 14 Advanced Placement courses offered
* 91% of students tested achieved a passing score of 3 or higher on an Advanced Placement test.
* 9400 active alumni with alumni located in all 50 states, District of Columbia, Virgin Islands and in 14 countries throughout the world.
* 40 acres at 3201 S. Kiwanis Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD 57105
* 207,000 square feet
* State-of-the-art academic classrooms (Completed in 2008 and 2009)
* Academic Services for academically challenged students
* 6 computer labs and 2 mobile laptop carts (30 laptops on each)
* Handicap Accessible Campus
* 1300 square foot Msgr. Sampson Chapel (Completed in 2009)
* 33,200 square foot Dr. Tom and Penny Lorang Theatre- 1000 seats (Completed in 2011)
* Athletic facilities include: McEneaney Field (new field turf, 8 lane track and video scoreboard in 2008), 2 gymnasiums
* Activities Center accommodates: weight room, wrestling, cheer & dance (Will be completed in 2013)
Class Size Average:
* 14:1 (Student:Teacher ratio)
* 90% student involvement
* 16 varsity sports
* 4 club sports
* 40 state championships since 2000
* Multiple freshmen teams
* Outstanding Theatre program
* 4 Theatre productions/year
* 55 National Catholic Forensic League and National Forensic League qualifiers in Oral Interpretation
* Top 1% of National Forensic League Chapters nationwide (Societe de 300)
* Concert Choir performs regularly at the State Music Conventions
* Ovation Varsity Show Choir competes successfully within a four state area
* 10 singers have been selected for National ACDA Honors Choirs since 2003
* 60 college credits through Mount Marty College are available to O’Gorman students through AP and college level courses.
Demographics & Enrollment:
Black = 1.2%
Hispanic = 2.4%
Asian = 2.7%
Native Hawaiian/PI = .7
White = 93%
* 742 students – O’Gorman attracts students from the Sioux Falls metro area as well as students from surrounding communities.
* 55 teachers
* 15 average years of experience
* 50% have advanced degrees
* 20% are alumni
* Students may apply for the work-study program
* Grants are available through Sioux Falls Catholic Schools
* Financial aid forms are available at the central office or online
* 95% pursue post-secondary education
* An average of $6 million offered annually in scholarships to graduates
* $3,960 for Catholic student registered at one of the Sioux Falls parishes
* $4,310 for Catholic student from a parish outside one of the nine Sioux Falls parishes
* $4,660 for student who is not Catholic
* $5,700 for International student